CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PM Field Servo Motors With Gecko Drives?

mariss92705 wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I'm a little confused here. PM stands for permanent magnet while
> field refers to a field coil which is used instead of a magnet.

No. The permanent magnets provide the stationary field for the
armature windings to react against. All wound-rotor motors require
a magnetic field of some sort to work. The word field is generally
dropped in describing a permanent magnet motor, but it is implied.
In the 'old' days, motor nameplates often said "shunt field" or
"series-wound", but the term field has nothing to do with the
winding, it indicates the source of the stationary magnetic field.
Permanent magnet field is somewhat redundant, but correct.

Jon

> If it is a field coil motor instead of a PM motor, excite the coil
> from a DC supply. Do not run it in either series or parallel tith the
> armature.

For a shunt wound field motor, this is right. If a series field motor,
you have the problem that the field winding will have few turns of
heavy wire, therefore requiring a LOT of field current at very low
voltage. This does not work too well, ie. 10 A at 1 V. It will work,
but the power supply will be heavy and inefficient.

> Mariss
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "emt_46058" <emt@e...> wrote:
> > Can a Gecko G320 or G340 drives, be wired to run a PM field servo
> > brush motor?

Discussion Thread

emt_46058 2002-02-25 19:15:14 UTC PM Field Servo Motors With Gecko Drives? mariss92705 2002-02-25 22:10:04 UTC Re: PM Field Servo Motors With Gecko Drives? Jon Elson 2002-02-26 11:18:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PM Field Servo Motors With Gecko Drives?