CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digest Number 266

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-12-03 02:01:31 UTC
>Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 01:04:01 EST
> From: MIADsgns@...
>Subject: Re: Re: Sherline retrofit for CNC
>
>Hi Folks:
>
>I am looking to retrofit my sherline mils and lathe with stepper motors for
>making CNC miniature aluminum molds.
>
>I need them to be precise so can someone reccommend a retrofit kit for such?
>
>Has anyone retrofitted their Sherline for CNC what type of precicion can be
>expected?
>
>Thanks
>Mario

[MaxNC has recently introduced a servomotor retrofit kit that should fit
the Sherline mill. This would offer greater precision than a stepper
system, since it has the ability to correct for lost steps. Probably the
limiting factor will be the backlash in the nuts, as Jon pointed out. If
you need motor-mounts, etc. MaxNC has those too. You will need to have a
200mhz cpu on your machine computer to use the servo system. The 4-axis
servo retrofit stuff lists for $1330; I can sell it a bit cheaper- see my
site for details. I'm not sure what's involved in retrofitting the Sherline
lathe with servos, but I could research it if you're interested.]

Andrew Werby
http://www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff