CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Optical Line Tracer

mchntool wrote:

> I have a Famco Vertical Knee Mill that I bought a few years ago. It
> is set up with a Bridgeport Line-A-Mill Optical Line Tracer and was
> in working order when purchased. I dismantled the system so I could
> use it manually. On the X and Y axes it has DC motors with tach
> generators. Is there a way to convert this machine into a CNC using
> a PC? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes. First, check out the motor ratings to see if it can handle
a decent rapid feed speed (maybe you already know, as it may
have had a joystick or something for jogging into position).

You will have to add shaft encoders to the leadscrews. Does it have
ballscrews? Are they still in good shape?

Finally, you will need servo amplifiers to take computer commands
and drive the motors. You can check eBay, or buy new ones from
Copley Controls.

For an interface to all this, you can use the Servo-to-Go card,
or my parallel port axis control
http://pico-systems.com/PPMC.html Both of these are supported
by the EMC control program, which runs under the real-time Linux
operating system.

Or, you can use a half-servo system, using the Gecko servo drive,
and any of the many programs that drive stepper-driven CNC
machines. Gecko sells a unit that accepts step and direction
commands and drives a servo motor with encoder. With the
Gecko, you won't need the tach generators.

mchntool 2002-02-28 10:52:12 UTC Optical Line Tracer mchntool 2002-02-28 10:52:13 UTC Optical Line Tracer Jon Elson 2002-02-28 22:46:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Optical Line Tracer