CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Dan Mauch DRO board

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2002-03-01 06:16:51 UTC
I would like at least 0.0005 and I haven't seen how that
can work with the linear scales available from U.S. Digital.
I am looking at the 2048 2" disk and letting a wire cable
do the linear to rotary translation.

I'm interested in who out there has actually built one
of these DRO's and what they came up with as an encoder
arrangement that is workable.

Ken Jenkins
kjenkins@...

> Ken Jenkins wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in corresponding with anyone out there who has
>> built and is using Dan Mauch's DRO board. I'm interested in
>> what encoders you're using (I can't find any linear scales
>> that will produce a high enough resolution). I'm probably
>> going to go with a U S. Digital rotary encoder and use a wire
>> loop to convert linear,
>
> What sort of resolution do you want? Most of the linear encoders
> made since 1980 are basically metric, and the readout box converts
> to inches (if you want it). So, the basic resolution is usually .01 mm
> (25 cycles/mm with full quadrature counting).
>
> There are higher resolution scales, but they get very expensive
> very quickly. There are also interpolator boxes that increase the
> apparent resolution of analog scales.

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2002-03-01 06:16:51 UTC Re: Dan Mauch DRO board James Owens 2002-03-01 08:36:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Dan Mauch DRO board