CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BobCADv18 was Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC

Posted by Kerry Carlson
on 2002-03-09 22:25:26 UTC
Allan,
I realize this is a bit off topic from what you were talking about
but I noticed that you mentioned OpenCNC. Can you give me any feedback on
this product as I am actively pursuing changing the control in my CNC
Router. I have it narrowed down to either a Delta Tau product or the
OpenCNC. I would be happy to talk to you off list if that would be better.
Thank you for any information you can provide.

Kerry

At 03:00 PM 3/8/02 , you wrote:
>Hi Group,
>
>I have received the Ver18 of BobCAD, and have been playing with
>various configs for several controls. Initally I bought it because
>it can output 5 axis code, not really thinking about other uses.
>Since then, I have been working on a config for a OpenCNC Monarch VMC
>used for drilling and a Fanuc-6T lathe, plus my EMC 5 axis. I had
>tried the demo of v17 in the past, and was not happy with the
>interface as I remember it. The v18 is much more windows familiar,
>especially the viewing options (rotation, pan, zoom). Having no
>previous experience using BobCAD, I figured how to generate 2 1/2D
>code very quickly with the supplied generic post, and soon figured
>the 3 axis output. The 5 axis output works, but currently only as a
>finish toolpath - no 5 axis roughing yet, but Tech support says they
>are working on it. The scripting capabilities look very powerful,
>and just today they posted a manual for writing scripts - it looks
>pretty extensive so far. As a 2-5 axis milling and 2 axis lathe CAM
>package, I am impressed so far. Granted, the system is
>not "automatic" - you have to tell it when to start the spindle,
>cooling, tool changes, all the steps except actual motion. The
>motion output is very configurable with both scripts and the line
>format screens.
>Since I bought the program, I have seen several comments about poor
>service from BobCAD, but I have not experienced this at all. When I
>have called Tech support, and talked to him, we have a good
>conversation and get the question answered, even though I still need
>to register my copy. This has been 3 calls so far - no problems.
>The copy that was on the CD which arrived had some missing script
>files - since fixed with the latest downloadable ver18 file. If
>anybody has specific questions, I'll try to answer, but a better
>place to ask would be the brand new Support Forum on the BobCAD web
>site. Overall, I would give it a positive recommendation.
>
>Allan

www.pubtaps.com
Innovative Mfg., Inc.
What's on Tap?
2118 E. Hemmi Rd.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Toll Free 877-499-TAPS (8277)
Phone 360-966-7250
Fax 360-966-9783

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2002-03-07 09:46:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC Raymond Heckert 2002-03-07 20:47:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC Bert Pirson 2002-03-08 06:32:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC allan_reinhard 2002-03-08 15:00:46 UTC Re: BobCADv18 was Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC Kerry Carlson 2002-03-09 22:25:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BobCADv18 was Cam software was: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC