CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux question...

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-03-10 21:15:39 UTC
Sean,
Do what I did for a real Safe technique, just so I could check it out. Find
an old Harddrive ! I had a spare Celeron566 (oc to 850) laying around with
win98 on a 6.4 gig drive. Instead of trashing that good drive with a fresh
win98 install on it, I took an old 2gig drive someone gave me a while back
and shoved it in as the main drive. I installed BDI just as has been
mentioned..... My grandma could have done it if she was alive. I did it with
the disk offered by Ray H. in this group.

EMC ?? well I looked at it. Thats about it so far. Gotta start somewhere !

Somehow all of the necessary drivers seemed to have worked because it boots
up. I SURE do not know what I am doing in it though..... Not sure why I would
want to leave the world of windows just yet. Linux Seems pretty clunky, but I
am going to spend more time in it. Hopefully There is some "interface" that
is more attractive. Maybe I just do not see the benefits just yet.

Anyhow, then I made the linux drive a slave and installed the original win98
drive as a master. I just go into bios on bootup and select which drive it
should boot from. Best of both worlds.

If you can not find a used small drive for this, heck, you can buy new 30gig
drives for around $85 without even searching long.

So, In closing,,, I have it installed for my review "Safely" !

If I can't figure it out, I do not have to do much other than throw the drive
in the trash. With the bios on "auto" it won't feel a thing.

Chris L