CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pole Changing Motors?

audiomaker2000 wrote:

> > > I am considering purchasing a Deckel mill on which the controller
> is
> > > toast (actually almost new, but still toast somehow).
> > > The main spindle motor is listed as a 6hp "Pole Changing motor
> with
> > > brake" in the brochure, which is all the information I have on it.
> Thanks Jon, what I am getting is that it would be a standard 3 phase
> AC motor?

Mostly, just that it is 2-speed, also. this makes the wiring of the motor
MUCH more complicated. If, God forbid, it is a 2-speed, dual-voltage motor,

it is going to have a bundle of wires rivaling the head of Hydra coming out
of it. I'd go to some significant trouble to document the connections to
the motor before ripping anything out. With luck, you'll be able to figure
out the reversing contactor(s) and the speed contactor. (If VFD
equipped, it may use the VFD to do the reversing.)

> I have 3 phase in my shop already. I was mostly concerned
> that it might be a DC motor similar in design to a stepper (pole
> changing) and that the brake might be electric (as in "holding").
> A 3 phase AC via VFD or Spindle Drive, I can deal with.
> As long as I know that AC and "pole changing" can go together, I'm
> alright.

The brake is likely to be wired fail-safe, so that it either requires power
to release, or power must be applied to a solenoid valve to release
the brake.

audiomaker2000 2002-03-09 23:34:12 UTC Pole Changing Motors? Jon Elson 2002-03-10 14:51:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pole Changing Motors? audiomaker2000 2002-03-10 15:10:27 UTC Re: Pole Changing Motors? Raymond Heckert 2002-03-10 21:15:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pole Changing Motors? Jon Elson 2002-03-10 22:58:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pole Changing Motors? Jon Elson 2002-03-10 23:46:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pole Changing Motors?