CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Double res

Bill Vance wrote:

> Somewhere in the files, I seem to recall seeing a circuit for taking the
> outputs from two encoders and doubling their normal resolution. Can anyone
> point me to wherever it's gotten to?

Yes, but I assert it WILL NOT WORK! The mechanical alignment of two
perfect encoders would be bad enough, but all encoders suffer from
some eccentricity of the code wheel, meaning the angular size of the
"steps" vary slightly over the revolution. This is usually only a couple
of percent. But, with two encoders, unless you got a matched set
with identical eccentricity, and aligned them so their eccentricity
was at the same point in the revolution, it could make errors causing it
to gain or lose counts. Fast rotation or vibration could make it much
worse. I think it would be a major wast of time to try this.

Bill Vance 2002-03-11 16:58:24 UTC Double res Jon Elson 2002-03-11 23:28:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Double res