CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Free help for linux

Posted by Tom Benedict
on 2002-03-12 05:39:00 UTC
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Darrell Daniels wrote:

> With the recent rash of linux/EMC posts looking for help I feel it
> would be helpful to let you guys know that quite possibly in your
> local area is a linux user group (LUG). They should have regular
> meetings (once a month) and also regularly scheduled installfests,
> these are days when you can bring in your PC and have one on one help
> with your install or just watch and learn more to see if you are
> interested, all for free. Our user group in San Diego, Ca. meets on
> the second thursday of each month and the installfest happens the
> following saturday from 8am to 4pm. Most Lugs should follow this
> format. I'm sure you will be suprised at the "all are welcome"
> attitude and how much personal help is available. I am sure EMC will
> generate a lot of interest at these groups, here is a link to see if a
> there is a group near you:

Let me second that. I'm betting a quarter to half of the people at those
LUG meetings have, at one point or another, wanted to do CNC machining,
though they might not have even known the right term. You'd be suprised
how many mechanically-minded people don't even know it's possible to set
up a shop at home, much less one with CNC tooling.

My guess is you'd get help at the meeting, at the next meeting, in between
meetings, etc., especially if people get to see your tooling at work. If
your machine is small enough to take to a meeting, set up a job to crank
out custom-engraved keychains for everyone there, and you'll have
enthusiastic free support for life.

Tom

Discussion Thread

Darrell Daniels 2002-03-11 22:36:37 UTC Free help for linux Tom Benedict 2002-03-12 05:39:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Free help for linux