CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cnc,linear encoder design question

on 2002-03-15 18:22:11 UTC
See http://www.heidenhain.com/posmeas.html for a good coverage of the topic
of using linear scales for feedback.

IMO linear scales are an excellent way of providing position information as
long as the scale and the reader head have a constant alignment. On a mill
table for example if your table tends to droop when run out to the extremes
of its travel the grating on the scale will shift in relationship to the
grating on the read head as the table tilts. If this occurs you can measure
the error and compensate in your software. Most DRO's have this feature.

You should be able to set the dead band on your servos to avoid oscillation
due to vibration causing the scale readings to fluctuate. Of course the
vibration will still cause anomalies in your part.