CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

torque vs amps was:Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives

Posted by timgoldstein
on 2002-03-18 20:12:25 UTC
Does seem odd that they would list a torque spec for the drive as you
can put on some nice rare earth magnet motors and get much higher
torque at the same electrical specs in comparison to ceramic magnet
motors. As best as I can tell the "Brochure" is actually an older
specification. If you notice it also says that the drives are only 5
amp. If you look at the "Installation Sheet" it has the current at 8
amps max. The drives are marked on the drive as 8 Amps/Phase and the
dip switchs allow you to select 8 amps.

So as far as I can tell and from the settings I have tried the in/oz
spec they list is meaningless and all my tests say it is capable of a
full 8 amps which means with the proper motors you could get 3 times
the listed in/oz spec.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> The pdf brochure on these drives shows up to 350 oz /in torque, but
> shouldn't an 8 amp drive be able to handle much more than this?
I've
> seen 3-4 amp moters with over 350 oz/in ratings. Can the drive
reduce
> the available torque?
> Thanks,

Dale

wrote:
> > I just purchase a quantity of microstep drives. They are an API
> (American
> > Precision Industriries) 1/4 - 8 amp drive that is user
configurable
> from
> > full steps to 254 micro steps/step. I have been playing with one
> for a week
> > now and I am impressed.
> >
> > I am offering them for sale with full details and spec sheets at:
> > http://www.timgoldstein.com/cnc/cmd260.asp
> >
> > For the list I am offering a very special, limited to the first 3
> people
> > that respond, deal of a life time. I am looking for some people
> that are
> > willing to use them and give me a review regarding the drive. In
> exchange I
> > will make a sweetheart deal on them. The deal will be offered
even
> if the
> > review is negative and if you think the drives are junk I will
> gladly take
> > them back and your only cost is the shipping. Here is the offer:
> Buy one
> > drive at my regular price of $75 plus shipping. If you get me a
> good review
> > (good as in you really connect them and test them, not as in it
> says good
> > things about them) within 1 week of receiving the drive I will
sell
> you 2
> > more drives for another $75 and even pay the shipping on them. If
> you think
> > the drive stinks just send it back and I will refund the cost of
> the 1
> > drive. The agreement is that if you write a review I can use it
as
> I see fit
> > on the website, in auctions, and quote it in postings on the net.
In
> > exchange you can get 3 drives that list out at $446 per axis for
> $150. Let
> > me know if you are interested. I will only be accepting 3 people
> for this
> > offer and then the drives will all be sold at the prices listed
on
> the
> > website.
> >
> > If interested contact me at: timg@k...
> >
> > Extra special offer: If anyone purchases the full legal licensed
> hobby
> > version of Dolphin that I have for $350 (already less than you
can
> buy it
> > for) I will let you have 3 of the API drives for $100 and pay the
> shipping
> > on the whole thing to a USA address. That makes it $450 for a
> license of
> > Dolphin that I am told is now $500 and 3 API CMD-260 drives that
> list for
> > over $1300. There is only one of these deals available so it goes
> to the
> > first person that responds.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2002-03-18 11:58:54 UTC Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives timgoldstein 2002-03-18 14:12:34 UTC Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives High Tech 2002-03-18 18:05:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives aspaguy 2002-03-18 18:22:56 UTC torque vs amps was:Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives timgoldstein 2002-03-18 20:02:11 UTC Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives timgoldstein 2002-03-18 20:12:25 UTC torque vs amps was:Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives Chris L 2002-03-18 21:02:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives Russell Shaw 2002-03-18 21:39:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] torque vs amps was:Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives Paul R. Hvidston 2002-03-19 14:21:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] torque vs amps was:Re: Special deal on 8 amp API stepper drives