CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD's used as Phase Converters

fuddham wrote:

> Can all VFD's run on single phase power and output 3 phase power? Or
> are there some that cannot be used as phase converters? I am in need
> of drives for 2 hp up to 15 hp.

Most made after 1990 or so seem to be able to do this. There are some
that require power on certain terminals to supply power to the control
electronics. Others use the rectified line, from whatever input terminals,
to to power the electronics.

You have to derate the VFD somewhat, especially if you will be using the
motor at full rated power, or making a lot of starts and stops. Running a
15 Hp motor on single phase power will draw a LOT of current! You
might put out all the lights on your block!

fuddham 2002-03-29 14:48:07 UTC VFD's used as Phase Converters Jon Elson 2002-03-29 23:21:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD's used as Phase Converters