CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How much for the linear strip DRO

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2002-04-01 12:07:37 UTC
3 axis for my mill = (9" + 5" + 24") x $2/in = $76 for the strips,
another $84 for the 3 encoders, $55 for a PC (166Mhz Compaq 2 GB
HD 64Mb of RAM, CD, keyboard + mouse), DRO ISA slot 4 axis board kit
from CAMTRONICS $80, $30 for 3 cables and connectors to fit the
encoders and board, software to run the whole lot is free on-line.

$76
$84
$55
$80
$30
---------------
$325 TOTAL for 3 axis, not just 2, for my particular mill

Of course this doesn't include the time/material required to fabricate
the mountings for the strips and enclosures for encoders, etc. But most of
that stuff I have laying around here or can do pretty inexpensively.

So total savings for me .... a lot since with only 2 axis I'd
be saving $500, since I get 3 axis implemented and the interface
board has a 4th circuit on it, the savings are actually a lot
more. Plus the PC in the shop can be used for other purposes
and was only $55 .... if something bizarre & exciting happens to
it I won't be too heartbroken

Ken J.
kjenkins@...

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:48:30 -0000
> From: "onecooltoolfool" <joevicar3@...>
> Subject: Re: US Digital linear strips
>
> The standard table travel for a 9x42 bridgeport is 30 inches.
> The 48 inch table travel is 36 inches. Knee mills larger aren't as
> common. 1 meter strip should cover 95% of all knee mills.
> How much are you guys spending on the linear strip DRO?
> Mitutoyo has complete 2 axis mill DRO's for 830 bucks complete.
> Joe V.

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2002-04-01 12:07:37 UTC Re: How much for the linear strip DRO wanliker@a... 2002-04-01 13:30:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How much for the linear strip DRO