CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motor Size

Posted by Bob Campbell
on 2002-04-19 09:53:57 UTC
Seth,

You may want to look at my web page at www.campbelldesigns.com . I have a
bill of materials that you can download which may help.

I use 385 oz/in stepper motors on my current machines. Somewhere in the
range of 350 to 400 oz/in is a good place to start. First download the white
paper from www.geckodrive.com . There is a lot of good information there.

You should use two gecko drivers for your X axis.

In most cases, you only need a limit switch at the home end. If you are
going to use cncpro, it will accept limit switched on both ends. Wire them
in parallel. Cncpro will know which limit switch it found by the direction
that it is going in.

Bob Campbell

-----Original Message-----
From: jfglass2001 [mailto:jfglass2001@...]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 11:05 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motor Size

Hi All!

A few quick questions:

1) How do I determine what size stepper motor to use? The CNC is a
gantry type with a 2' x 2' cut with a 5-6" Z. The construction is
mostly aluminum. For the ways I am using 1" dia. Thomson shafting
with linear ball bearings. The drive train is .625 ball screws. I
plan on running 2 screws on the X axis. The main purpose of this
router is for 3D milling/routing in wood and light engraving in
brass. It would be nice if the rapid is in excess of 200 ipm. If that
isn't feasible....

2) I need a gecko for each motor, right? Can I use one drive to
power two motors on the X axis? If so, is there anything different I
should know?

3) I should have a limit switch at both ends of the axis, right?
I guess that's it for now....
Thanks for the help
Seth

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom