CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the difference between a dividing index and a rotary table?

on 2002-04-22 19:12:22 UTC
A Dividing Indexer uses different plates with precicely spaced, circular
sets of holes, and a spindle lock, to lock the work at the chosen
position, and is used in cutting gears, etc. A Rotary Table is designed to
rotate to any arbitrary angle (but only as accurately as the vernier can be
read). With my 40:1 Dividing Indexer, and the 54-hole plate, I can
(supposedly) index to any 10 minute angle (and, again, supposedly, repeat
within about 1/10 minute of arc). Both can be made as 'good' as you want to
pay for. Some rotary tables can be converted to indexers, by simply buying
the plates and the apparatus to locate the holes, and a table-lock.

RayHex

> From: Lloyd Leung <lloyd@...>
>
> Please excuse the newbie question.
>
> What's the difference between a dividing index and a rotary table?
> Besides in price?
>
> Is one more heavy duty than another?
>
> Thanks.

Discussion Thread

Raymond Heckert 2002-04-22 19:12:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the difference between a dividing index and a rotary table? Jon Elson 2002-04-22 22:40:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the difference between a dividing index and a rotary table?