CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Plasma Help

on 1999-12-28 17:40:50 UTC
For those of you interested, BERG makes linear gear
drive racks and bearings. These are based on a round
shaft and incorporate the bearing and drive in one block.

Steve

----------
From: Mark Ehle <markehle@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Plasma Help
Date: Tuesday, December 28, 1999 4:10 PM

From: "Mark Ehle" <markehle@...>

Jay -

Can you give us an idea of the mechanics of the rack-and-pinion drive?
Diameter / pitch / # of teeth / size of driving motors?

I have acquired all of the necessary parts to put together an O/A table,
about 4 feet by 5 feet. The only thing I lack is the drive system, and
after
reading your post I have pretty much decided to go with rack and pinion. I
was thinking of using a section of timing belt or lead screw, but It would
be slick to be able to disengage the motor from the rack to move the
carriage quickly.

I need to know how strong a stepper motor to use and what size rack to use.
Also, where is the best deal on racks?

Anybody out there got some ideas / answers?

Thanks!

Mark Ehle
Battle Creek, MI