CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-(

on 2002-05-07 16:43:15 UTC
Being the originator of this thread, I'd like to say for the record
that not only was the fault of blowing the drives mine, but it is
amazing that they survived the several hours of torture that they
did.
The drives were not at fault, they performed within spec's and then
some. The customer service at Geckodrive performed well beyond the
spec'.
What didn't perform, was me, and if I can find fault that wasn't
mine, it is that the manual provided by Geckodrive (although
thorough and complete), did not stress the importance of adhering to
certain parts of their content over others (as in DONT do this you !&
(#@#&*, and you MUST do *this* or else). In other words, they are
written under the assumption that the end user has some minute clue
as to what they are doing...which I (and supposedly others) don't.

I will have absolutely no reservation buying Gecko's in the future.
The only thing is that hopefully others can learn from my
mistakes... including Mariss.
As retrofitting CNC's and building your own becomes more popular,
people like me are going through the learning curve of trying to
understand all this stuff, and people like Mariss are probably going
through the learning curve of understanding people like myself.

All the best
Sean

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., beer@s... wrote:
> On 7 May, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y... wrote:
>
> > All the problems I had appeared to be due to false contacts on
motor
> > leads (two times) or a spike on the motor connection when
plugging
> > the fuse into its socket (the caps were still loaded ... ).
>
> > I'm a product designer and in my job I know an important rule:
every
> > product should be designed with a reasonable fault tolerance.
>

> There are limits to what constitutes "reasonable". Certainly,
asking
> the Gecko to survive a roaring fire would not be considered
reasonable
> by most people. Asking the Gecko to survive being run over by a
> bulldozer would also not meet most people's reasonable test.
>
> Well, the electrical nastiness you've imposed ( most likely as a
result
> of arcing ) would very likely be placed in the same class as the
above
> examples by many electronics designers.
>
> It may seem like a small thing to you, but to others it's a really
big
> thing.
>
> For myself, being basically poor, I'd rather have the most
stripped down
> ( and therefore lowest cost ) unit possible and then simply be VERY
> careful.
>
> When I feel the need for insurance, I buy a completed finished
product
> with a warranty.
>
> Alan
>

> --
>
> Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number
of the
> Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.
> Simon Fraser University |
> Burnaby, B.C., Canada | Agix of
Sparta

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2002-05-07 11:23:26 UTC Re: Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-( audiomaker2000 2002-05-07 16:43:15 UTC Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-( mariss92705 2002-05-07 19:37:15 UTC Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-( audiomaker2000 2002-05-07 21:09:08 UTC Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-( turbulatordude 2002-05-08 04:57:22 UTC FUSES (was Re: 2 Fried G210's in a single day :-(