CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Scraping Turcite or rebuilding a lathe

Posted by Sven Peter
on 2002-05-07 21:26:57 UTC
Hello Marcus, Allan, Raymond and others,
Its soccer time, my wife and the kids watch national championship. So I
have time to continue. Most of what i will list here comes from George
Brandau who rebuilt hundreds of Turcite bedway while I did only 3 until
now.
The biggest difference from cast to turcite bedways is that turcite is
soft and pretty compressible. Its a point you have to take in account.

A) You should use turcite only where you have enough surface area!

B) Better use turcite only on a slide that does not travel out of the
bed! If there is no other way and the slide must travel out of the bed
then: DO NOT USE LUBRICATION GROOVES ON THE PART THAT TRAVELS OUTSIDE
AND PROVIDE EXCELLENT CHIP PROTECTION AND WAY WIPERS. If you put here
grooves they will catch chips and destroy the turcite and bedway.

C)Turcite you glue with a special 2 component epoxy that cures in 10 to
24 hours.

D) Turcite has two different sides: the glue side gets wet when you put
the stripe in water. The sliding side repeals a little more the water.

E)Scratch with a hardmetal scriber point the base metal and CLEAN
PERFECTLY with solvents like thinner or special solution the faces and
the turcite.

F) make yourself some profiles of flat iron that fit into the profile
you mount the turcite onto if you have a special profile like a
dovetail.

G)Mounting: Mix well the compound in the right relation. (a mail balance
helps), spread it on both sides with a painting filler. put newspaper.
put a rubber stripe (tire tube works well). put your back up profile.
Align and clamp with c-clamps.
It is important that the sides and ends are well glued. If there is a
small failure in the imbedding oil may crawl under the turcite and it
may come up. Or it may get cached on an end.

H) With Turcite there is no inconvenience to grind it to get close to
the final measurement and more than one person will say "wherefore to
scrape" (because its compression.) But I see that because of the
clamping force of the magnet plate it is always convenient to finish
scrape to get perfect alignments.

I)Because of the compression it is difficult to get the perfect fit.
Therefore it helps to scrape mostly dry. The turcite itself marks like a
kind of mirror on the high spots.

J) On Turcite You need lubrication groves. BUT PLEASE USE ZICK ZACK
GROOVES ONLY ON THE PART THAT STAYS INSIDE THE BEDWAY!!!! Straight
grooves do not bring oil to where it is needed. (Check the lubrication
pump and lines!)

K) Best wipers are Kabelschlepp BAS18 or 25 wipers backed up with felt.

L) Dovetail guides you must pretension a little if not they stay sloppy.

M)On the longitudinal carriage don't forget to scrape the lower clamping
bedway to parrallel and the clamp guide! A longitudinal carriage that is
not properly clamped will start to vibrate. (I don't mean the fixing
clamp but the guide that doesn't permit the carriage to get lifted)

I hope this helps a little.
OK Guys the Alajuelan Liga is the new costarican champion with 4:0
against the Saints.
Good night
Sven Peter

Marcus & Eva wrote:

> Hi Sven:
> It is a pleasure to read your words.
> They confirm much of what I'm doing and much of what I am planning to do.
>
> I began as you say, by cleaning the machine and stoning away the burs.
> I measured the reference surfaces and recorded them, so I know where the
> components sat relative to each other before they were worked on.
> I measured the deviations from nominal for things like "not flat" and
> "twisted".
> I planned what to machine and what to scrape.
>
> Here's what I found:
> The carriage was quite twisted and rocked on the ways.
> It was impossible to find its proper position anymore and it was bad enough
> to pull the leadscrew up when the half nuts were engaged..
> It was far more than I could scrape without throwing the leadscrew out of
> position even worse.
> So I needed to build up the ways and I chose Turcite.
> Of course, I also need to re establish the correct height.
> I want to indicate the leadscrew movement when the halfnuts tighten as my
> guide.
> I will make the apron level both ways and fit the carriage to this
> reference.
> This lathe is also good because it has very wide ways and two wide flats
> that are on the same plane.
> So I can reference from these surfaces with confidence.
>
> When I mill or grind, I shim the job until it does not move under an
> indicator when I turn on the mag chuck or tighten the clamps. (Needs lots of
> indicators and sometimes the whole day just to set up)
> I was roughing away BIG errors from wear (0.006" to 0.007")
>
> When I grind, as you suggest, I use a very open wheel and flood cooling.
> I rough the batter marks away on the milling machine (less thermal stress
> than grinding) and then grind to just clean up.
> I take the casting off the machine and let it sit for a week.
> I then finish grind (0.0001" steps with relieved wheel) and blue in on the
> surface plate (it is a new plate that only I use for best precision work.)
> I then use this for my reference surface to scrape in the mating part.
> I think I get pretty good precision this way; the parts don't rock together
> more than 0.0001" to 0.0002".
>
> When I scrape in the longitudinal saddle I can use the flat ways to re
> establish level.
> I have a good way to get exactly square too.
> (I was going to put an indicator on the faceplate and swing over a roll in
> the cross slide dovetail and also on the edge of the cross slide (I've
> ground it parallel to the dovetail within 0.0002").
>
> Sven, I have to go now...work is calling.
> Thank you again for all your help
> Cheers
>
> Marcus

Discussion Thread

Sven Peter 2002-05-07 21:26:57 UTC Re: Scraping Turcite or rebuilding a lathe