CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to setup STG-II? (homing problem fix)

Posted by Les Watts
on 2002-05-08 10:51:46 UTC
I am running STG II with dc servo using Copley 412 amps. For more details
check my engineering page link at the bottom. I am using a K6 200 MHz with
32M ram.

I must tell you to expect a problem with the homing sequence with EMC on the
STG II 8 axis cards.
This bug crops up on all the motion modules such as stg8mod.o, stgmod.o,
newstgmod.o, etc.

The bug manifests itself as an inability to detect the index pulse on the
encoders even though
the STG diagnostics program sees it. Clicking home on the gui results in
the axis blowing right
through the home switch and initiating estop upon reaching the limit switch.
The rest of the program
works... it just does not have a precisely defined home. (runs with yellow
numbers in the display)

Paul Corner and I had a marathon late night session looking through the code
to find the problem.
It turns out that two registers IDLEN (offset 0x409)and SELDI (offset
0x40B) needed to be directly written to in newstg.c to enable the index
pulse and select the encoder as the source. 1s need to be written to all
bits in the former and 0s in the latter. This is a crude fix but it works.
Paul and NIST will clean it up very soon so I will let him discuss it
further on the EMC list
(do join it!). I am sure we will be able to get you the fix assuming you
have this problem.

As for other configuration parameters- I can post an EMC.ini on the web site
known to be
good with STG II. I must rem out the PID and feedforward gains and put in
safe low
numbers so you won't have a real exciting power up.

We will try to get you up and running with a minimum of fuss. My STG II 8
axis/EMC
is running very nicely- no lockups or funny stuff so far. I have been fine
tuning the
feedforward coefficients lately.

Les

Leslie Watts