CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 470/100 caps (was Suitable Cap for Gecko's wasRe: 8-wire 1/2coil stepper?

on 2002-05-09 11:18:32 UTC
Hi Jon,

I might try paralleling caps. I have short power leads, so even a
smaller cap would help. I did find low ESR electrolytic caps at Mouser,
100v and 100uf. Did I remember correctly that a low ESR cap was wanted
here? Maybe it was somewhere else. I didn't find ESR in a search of
the emails I have saved. Never did get anywhere on Yahoo's search.

Yeah, Tants pop real nice, 'specially if you put them in backwards!

Alan KM6VV

Jon Elson wrote:

> Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:
>
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Thanks, I did something similar. Only I looked for low-leakage caps. I
> > think we want a better cap then a cheap electrolytic (Tantalum low
> > ESR's, I think). I couldn't remember the "low ESR" last time I posted.
> > All I found were 6v caps. Otherwise, I'd have a bag of 'em!
>
> I don't think you can get Tantalum caps over 35 V. I hate the small
> of those burning up, anyway, and they have a REAL talent for spectacular
> burn-ups!
>
> Low ESR electrolytic caps are available, but you do have to search for them a bit.
> Several smaller aluminum electrolytics in parallel, with a modest multilayer
> ceramic can usually beat one big electrolytic. Say, 4 100 uF and a 1 uF
> MLC might be 5 times better than one 470 uF aluminum cap.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2002-05-08 22:21:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 470/100 caps (was Suitable Cap for Gecko's wasRe: 8-wire 1/2coil stepper? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-09 11:18:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 470/100 caps (was Suitable Cap for Gecko's wasRe: 8-wire 1/2coil stepper?