CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Servo Motors....?

Posted by baccus61
on 2002-05-21 16:47:15 UTC
Hi Jon
Thank you for the reply. Made a big mistake on the encoders, didn't
I. I guess I should be reading these threads a bit more closely and
then I may actually learn something.
If they are no good then I will use them for something else like a
clothes line retractor or something equally rewarding but I really
appreciate the help as it saves a lot of stuffing about in the dark.
Just one query tho', How would I go about finding the peak current.
Thanx for your help.
Richard.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> 24 V x 5 A = 120 W. if that is continuous rating, it might be
adequate.
> If that is the peak rating, they are too small for any use like
this. The
> armature RPM is 3600, not bad. You might be able to get a bit more
> power out of them at higher RPM. You really need to determine the
safe
> peak current before going much further. If you exceed that, even
for
> an instant, it demagnetizes the permanent magnets and seriously
degrades
> the motor. The "encoder" you mention is a tachometer, only. With
3 wires, it
> has power, ground, and only one signal. You need two sensors in
quadrature
> to determine direction, the basic requirement for a position
encoder.
> Motor torque will be 43 Kg/Cm / 24 = 1.79 Kg/Cm, which isn't too
exciting.

> Gecko drives or analog servo amps can be used to drive it.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

baccus61 2002-05-21 08:39:13 UTC Servo Motors....? Jon Elson 2002-05-21 10:33:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo Motors....? baccus61 2002-05-21 16:47:15 UTC Re: Servo Motors....? Jon Elson 2002-05-21 21:53:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo Motors....?