CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Adding inertia to an axis

Posted by Les Watts
on 2002-05-30 04:26:08 UTC
One way I found to add torsional damping (for low speeds only) was simply
to use end bearings with seals- the rubber kind with the tiny steel garter
spring
that keeps the seal tight against the shaft.

A more technical description is that we are considering the leadscrew as a
torsional mechanical transmission line. We attempt to terminate that line
in its
characteristic torsional mechanical impedance.

The bearing grease seal is not a linear element-it is more of a
spring/damper
combination with a little stick slip. It does reduce torsional resonances
though.
The damping can be changed by stretching the garter spring a bit.

Les

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA