CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: help procuring NEMA 23 stepper motor mount; first of many newbie questions

Posted by drew@p...
on 2000-01-11 08:50:47 UTC
Murry,

There's a guy named Kurt Bjorn who made what he calls a "CNC Micro Coilwinder."
It's probably smaller that what you want but you might want to check out his
web page:

http://www.flash.net/~pyroware/cnc.htm

Also take a look at the engine he built. Pretty darn cool.

Drew

On Jan 11, 6:57am, multi-volti@... wrote:
> Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help procuring NEMA 23 stepper motor mount; fir
> From: multi-volti@...
>
> Hello:
>
> I'm new here courtesy of Hans W's recommendation.
>
> I want to interface a nema 23 stepper motor I have with a Kerk screw rail
> (I haven't bought it yet).
>
> I don't what kind of precision to expect a local machinist to be capable
> of (what if the guy makes levers for dumpsters?). I'm not a machinist,
> so I don't want to overspecify precision that may be unnecessary, or cost
> me more fingers than I can afford.
>
> Upon discovering this list, I suspected you folks know exactly what will
suffice.

> I also wonder if I could pay a freelancer to make 1 or 2
> (money or barter), when I'm ready.
>
> I have two needs:
>
> I am building a transformer/coil winder. One motor will drive a
> spindle (?) or mandrel (?) that coil bobbins are mounted on.
> Due to necessary torque (need 15 pounds of wire tension worst case), I'm
> considering using a high torque electric screwdriver (90-120 inch-pounds),
> and on the 'dead' end of the driven shaft I want to mount a NEMA 23 stepper
> I have which has an integral 200 slot disk and encoder. The stepper would
simple 'freewheel', or possibly be used as an electronic brake.

> The second need is where the linear screwrail (combination leadscrew and
> linear slide in one mechanism) comes in. This one will be driven by
> a stepper to precisely control the wire traverse direction and pitch.
> I have both Sanyo Denki unipolar steppers and Vexta 2-phase steppers with
encoders on the back. I have alot of the Sanyo Denki's and a few of
> the Vexta's.
>
> This application should not need much torque. A precision pulley mounts on
> the screw rail for the under-tension wire to pass over and be moved back and
forth across the bobbin.

> It is for a hobby application, so if I can find a 'street' method of doing
this, my wallet will be much happier.

--
Drew Rogge
drew@...

Discussion Thread

multi-volti@x... 2000-01-10 22:57:52 UTC help procuring NEMA 23 stepper motor mount; first of many newbie questions Les Watts 2000-01-11 06:17:23 UTC Re: help procuring NEMA 23 stepper motor mount; first of many newbie questions drew@p... 2000-01-11 08:50:47 UTC Re: help procuring NEMA 23 stepper motor mount; first of many newbie questions