CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lindows and any Cad, Graphics or Control ?

on 2002-06-01 22:21:07 UTC
I have run (sort of) Vector on Wine. Unfortunately, I started back to
college, which has consimed so much of my time that learning Vector and
playing with Wine have been put on hold. On the other hand, I have been
using Linux more than ever.

I haven't touched it since last September, but as I recall, I had Vector
installed under Windows 98 in one partition of my PC, and from Linux was
able to find Vector in that partition, start it and draw. Attempting to
save the drawing caused crashes. I suspect that Wine needed to know
something about my windows install. I was still impressed with Wine. I
had plans to find a newer version of Wine and try again. I've also been
told to check out the Odin project (but never did). There are a couple
of other products besides those Fred mentioned which act as Windows
emulators.

Also, I was using the older version of Vector (pre-32 bit). I believe
that at one time Wine was not supposed to work with Windows 95+ type
applications, although that may have changed.

I haven't upgraded to the 32 bit Vector (gotta pay tuition) so I can't
check that out for you.

I have run other programs under Wine, some worked fine, others didn't.
As more programs become available for Linux, the need for Wine seems to
become less.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me, although I am not
an expert on Wine. You may wish to take this off list, I don't know
that very many people will be interested.

Marshall

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]