CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: problems cnc engraving true type fonts

Posted by rainnea
on 2002-06-24 02:02:15 UTC
Les,

if you email me an example, I'll see if I can incorporate a suitable
function into my script for 3DS MAX / GMAX / VIZ,

Rab

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Les Watts" <leswatts@r...> wrote:
> I have been collecting freeware true type fonts to use for my sample
> engraved signs.
> I find that many (if not most) create problems with some tool path
> generators because
> they have crossovers.
>
> True type fonts are described by a set of control points that
describe
> quadratic
> (second order) curves to create the outlines. It is possible to set
these
> control points such that the curve intersects itself. Typical is an
intended
> sharp corner that comes out as a tiny figure 8 type of pattern.
>
> I did find some shareware where I can modify the fonts by moving
> control points such that the outline does not intersect. But it is
most
> laborious... it took half an hour to find and correct one
particular font
> I have and like. Several characters were flawed.
>
> There must be a better way. Anyone heard of something that can
detect
> tiny TTF crossovers and auto correct them? It doesn't seem like
rocket
> science; I don't think it would be that hard to program.
>
> I did a search but did not find anything. I think some cad/cam
programs
> have this embedded but some (otherwise good) do not.
>
> Anyone heard of such a thing?
>
> Les
> Leslie Watts
> L M Watts Furniture
> Tiger, Georgia USA
> http://www.rabun.net/~leswatts/wattsfurniturewp.html
> engineering page:
> http://www.rabun.net/~leswatts/shop.html

Discussion Thread

Les Watts 2002-06-23 16:22:21 UTC problems cnc engraving true type fonts Erie Patsellis 2002-06-23 18:36:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] problems cnc engraving true type fonts rainnea 2002-06-24 02:02:15 UTC Re: problems cnc engraving true type fonts