CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics

Posted by Doug Harrison
From: <bjammin@...>

> How do you have a bearing problem in a properly mounted stepper or servo?

The end caps were machined oversize allowing the bearings to wander around.
The rotors were grinding the stators.

> >service is admittedly good but gecko has better amps for a third of the
> >price.
>
> Tell me more: how much.

The geckos certainly don't run as hot. My 10 amp units are set back to
about six amps max. Microkinetics told me they would not run any higher
without better heat sinking. I paid for a 10 amp Driverack that as designed
won't run 10 amps.

> > The MK microstepping amps are a nice design but the current setback
> >is proportional and doesn't match up to big motors very well.
>
> How big? I'm running 450 and 600 oz in on mine. They are a bit on slow
> side, but then they need more than 3.5 amps to run really fast.

The kit came with 1150 oz.in. N42 frame motors. Had I studied the published
torque curves I would have realized that the 450 oz.in. N34 motors they
offer have more torque with this drive. Mine won't even run 1:1 gearing
without stalling. 2:1 reduction gives me 60 IPM jogging - the motors poop
out at 600 RPM because the amps are choked back.

Doug

Discussion Thread

wallyv0502 2002-06-16 23:50:39 UTC Microkinetics bjammin@i... 2002-06-17 04:23:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics Doug Harrison 2002-07-03 06:49:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics Doug Harrison 2002-07-03 07:05:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics