CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ballscrews from Steering boxes

Posted by bjammin@i...
on 2002-07-10 07:43:33 UTC
At 02:37 PM 7/10/02 +0200, Wrathall Mark wrote:
>automotive steering boxes. Could someone elaborate on their suitablity for
>use in CNC conversion of small drill/mills?

The usual layout is: steering input shaft is a ball screw a few inches
long. The nut has the usual ball return tubes on one face and rides screw
as usual. On another face of nut is a rack gear of four or five teeth. This
engages and drives a sector gear on the output shaft.

There may not be any correspondance between the sizes of these parts and
ordinary screws. In any case, the nut is not made to mount in any
conventional sense, it simply floats between input shaft and sector gear. I
have my doubts overall about any gains going this way.

Regards, Hoyt

Anti-virus request: Please do not add this email addy to address books
Belfab CNC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
US Best MC - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html
Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
Hac ahac que haec, hoc, hoc, patui