CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Wire Size for BPT Steppers

Posted by cnc_4_me
on 2002-07-24 03:28:41 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Marty Escarcega" <escarcega@c...> wrote:
> Seems like an uninteresting topic, but I would like to know whether
> or not the 18 gauge twisted pair unshielded control cable I have
> located will work on my Bridgeport NEMA 42 Steppers. There was
> enough of the old cable to see that it was 16 gauge and not twisted
> pair. Of course that was running the higher currents and voltages
of
> the original BOSS control. I will be using the G201's and a 70VDC
> 8amp power supply.
>
> Thanks?
> Marty

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Marty Escarcega" <escarcega@c...> wrote:
> Seems like an uninteresting topic, but I would like to know whether
> or not the 18 gauge twisted pair unshielded control cable I have
> located will work on my Bridgeport NEMA 42 Steppers. There was
> enough of the old cable to see that it was 16 gauge and not twisted
> pair. Of course that was running the higher currents and voltages
of
> the original BOSS control. I will be using the G201's and a 70VDC
> 8amp power supply.
>
> Thanks?
> Marty

First i think from reading the forums that bridgeport also used 7 or
8 amps for thier steppers.

Second, there are lies, dam lies, and specifications...If you do a
search for wire current specs on the net you can get any answer you
want.....But from experance i can give you the following advice...For
the type of wiring you are doing, multiple conductors in a jacket and
panel wiring with many wires in a bundle, i would take the
conservitive aproach and use these ratings. 10Ga-20amp, 12Ga-12amp,
14Ga-8amp, 16Ga-5amp, 18Ga-3amp....

For comparison, house wiring would have a different rating because of
the amount of air space around the conductors and the allowable
voltage drop. Typical 120vac house wiring For shorter runs of wire
would be 10Ga-30amp, 12Ga-20amp, 14Ga-15amp.

Personally i would say 18Ga is to small, 16Ga is ok, and 14Ga would
be conservitive.

As for twisted pair, i would not know how to use it...Twisted pair
usuaally implies one of the twisted wires is connected to ground,
possibly that would help noise emmisions. Otherwise 2 power leads
from stepper could be twisted but i do not know what the outcome of
this would be....

WallyK

P.S. The hardware store usally carries 4 conductor ruberjacketed
cable....This cable may be of a finer strand then the 18Ga you want
to use and is probally more flexable....A better choice then typical
stiff pvc cable....Also the rubber cable can be had in a oil
resistant rating...

Discussion Thread

Marty Escarcega 2002-07-22 16:23:26 UTC Wire Size for BPT Steppers cnc_4_me 2002-07-24 03:28:41 UTC Re: Wire Size for BPT Steppers caudlet 2002-07-24 11:44:17 UTC Re: Wire Size for BPT Steppers caudlet 2002-07-24 14:34:45 UTC Re: Wire Size for BPT Steppers MIKEC@W... 2002-07-24 16:47:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wire Size for BPT Steppers