CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Scales, etc...

Posted by Country Bubba
on 2002-08-11 10:49:23 UTC
Al,
I to was in your place and ran across a system that uses rotary encoders
and a (now) freeware program to handle the decoding. I has a simple
interface (4 ICs) and depending on how well you calibrate it, accuracte.

You can find the information on my web site pages:
http://ns1.dicomm.net/~axtein/dro
There are three pages and includes how mine is setup on both a mill/drill
and lathe. If you want to snag the program and some other information, its
on the first page and if you need help or more information, just write and
we will try to do what you want.

At 03:50 PM 8/11/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi All,
> Long time lurker.
> I am a home shop type and love following the threads that develop
>here. A thought or two and a question...
>
> I know that most of the traffic here is about CNC conversions but am
>wondering about DROs myself. (read: "I want one for my lathe and
>mill, but am too cheap/poor to buy one")It seems to me that the
>readout part of this system has been largely solved by a number of
>clever and generous people who came up with software or
>hardware/software soloutions that they have posted on the web and/or
>shared here. The problem seems to be with suitable scales, suitable
>meaning "cheap and accurate" and maybe reasonably "home-brew-able".
>Even with the US digital strip encoder, after I buy enough strip for
>a full sized mill, 2 suitable readers for same, and whatnot, I am
>spending a very significant portion of what I have to spend to buy a
>complete DRO. Any brilliant ideas? There MUST be another way...
>
> As I am about to be setting up my shop again after a long hiatis, I
>am looking here for bright ideas. Have many of you had much
>experience just using rotary encoders and software "backlash
>compensation" on the leadscrews?
>
>How well does this work?
>
> Decent rotary encoders are fairly cheap and available as are
>suitable PC's and the software to read the encoders is cheap or free.
>I am curious as to what others experiences with this setup are. If
>that combo will consistantly work to a few thou, I would think that
>is plenty close for most HSM's and a great deal nicer than all of
>the "overshoot and crank back in the same direction" and scale
>counting I do now.
>
> Of course I too, would *like* a set of glass scales that
>consistantly read to a half thou, and could probably find some I
>could "almost" afford, but I think that I would rather spend my money
>on other things.
>
> Soliciting thoughts/opinions. Love following this group, wish I had
>more to contribute.
>
>Thanks,
> AL

Bubba

OLDER THAN DIRT
Country Bubba
(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)

axtein@...
LaGrange, GA

http://ns1.dicomm.net/~axtein/dro

alanganes 2002-08-11 08:50:52 UTC Scales, etc... Country Bubba 2002-08-11 10:49:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Scales, etc...