CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how do I calculate thread pitch or TPI?

Posted by Lloyd Leung
on 2002-08-19 21:57:52 UTC
Yes, thanks for the quick reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Green [mailto:ksgg@...]
Sent: August 20, 2002 12:48 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how do I calculate thread pitch or TPI?

In both system (or anything for that matter) pitch is the distance
from
one point on the part to the next corresponding identical point. This
can be
crest to crest, root to root or pitch line to pitch line. Can be a
thread or
a gear (same thing, really).
In the imperial system, it is determined by dividing 1 by the TPI
(1/TPI). In the metric system it's a direct measurement; your leadscrew
(if
it's not a multiple-start) is a 2mm pitch.
Most likely your leadscrew is now an acme thread, either. Metric
system
(now?) uses the trapezoidal threadform which is 30 deg. included angle,
not
the 29 of the acme.
There is an important distinction to be made between lead and pitch.
Pitch is as defined above, while lead is the distance traveled by the
nut in
one revolution. On single-start threads, the numbers are the same. On
multi-starts, the lead is the pitch multiplied by the number of starts.
Therefore, if your carriage travels 2mm for each turn of the screw, it
is
either 2mm pitch, single start or 1mm pitch 2-start, etc.
Clear?

keith.