CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor heat (issue or not)?

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2002-08-19 22:37:36 UTC
In a message dated 19-Aug-02 23:14:35 Central Daylight Time, lloyd@...
writes:

> Should I be concerned about this?

In MY opinion, yes! The drive SHOULD cut back the current at stand-still,
and the motor (mine connected to Geckos, anyway!) should hardly warm up at
all.

You may-WELL have the wrong, or defective, or POORLY-connected "current-set
resistors" between pins 11 and 12!

3V/3A says to me you have Size-34 motors. KML? Bipolar "square" kind? In
the lathe I have that uses bipolar-chopper drives, the motors hardly warm up,
but have MORE torque than an older lathe with "same size", but UNIpolar
motors, which DO warm up a bit (But CERTAINLY not so hot you can't hold your
hand on them for several minutes!)

If the Gecko resistor is HIGH, or LOOSE, the current will go UP (i.e.,
duty-cycle of the HIGH-voltage will increase!)

Mariss? Am I right? Jan Rowland

Lloyd Leung 2002-08-19 21:14:04 UTC Stepper Motor heat (issue or not)? JanRwl@A... 2002-08-19 22:37:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor heat (issue or not)? turbulatordude 2002-08-20 05:19:37 UTC Re: Stepper Motor heat (issue or not)?