CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Good CNC Book?

Posted by Doug Harrison
on 2002-08-24 07:12:39 UTC
Mornin Ralph;

I taught CNC programming at a tech school for four years and am convinced there is no such thing as a good CNC book.
Most are so vague as to be worthless as a teaching aid. Many of them devote too many chapters paying homage to
moribund technology. None, that I am aware of, clearly emphasize the importance of learning and understanding
coordinate systems.

The Seames text is a good starting point. I would also recommend "An Introduction to Machining and Part Programming"
by Gibbs and Crandell (c,1991). Enco has the best price but order it with something expensive so you don't get reamed
on shipping.

Like many teachers, I started writing my own CNC book. And like the others, I never finished due to the amount of work
required to do it right. The textbooks that have been published have yet to accomplish this.

Doug

8/24/02 1:02:04 AM, "rawen2" <rawen2@...> wrote:

>Hi Group,
>I have to travel for a couple of weeks for work and dug out an old
>text book that I've never read to take with me. It's
>called "Computer Numerical Control, Concepts and Programming" Third
>Edition by Warren Seames. It's copyrighted 1995.

>My question is this: Do you think this book is too old to do me any
>good?

Discussion Thread

rawen2 2002-08-23 22:02:05 UTC Good CNC Book? Jon Elson 2002-08-23 22:24:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Good CNC Book? Doug Harrison 2002-08-24 07:12:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Good CNC Book? rawen2 2002-08-24 10:38:43 UTC Re: Good CNC Book?