CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DSO Oscillosope

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-09-03 00:51:28 UTC
Peter,

In a perfect world I would first have a "real" scope, then a DSO and
finally a PC based scope, in that order.

A "real" scope is an analog 2-channel 100MHz one. It is faithfully
displays what is really there. Non-periodic waveforms are a problem
of course but a scope with good writing speed gives you a chance.

The advantage of an analog scope is it is not suceptable aliasing
artifacts that improperly setup DSOs are. Really good analog scopes
are Tektronix 465 which can be had for a song now. Another good
choice is a Tektronix 2247 though its trigger, focus and writing
speed leaves much to be desired.

A good DSO would be a Tektronix TDS360. Not real fast but good for
most applications. I always double check it with an analog scope
before I rely on its readings though.

PC based scopes I don't really trust. I have compared their results
against an analog scope and the results have ranged from mediocre to
terrible. Given the choice, I would pick a good used DSO over a PC
scope any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., no falloff <nofalloff@y...> wrote:

> I need an Oscilloscope. primarily to analyze the effect of signal
processing on non-periodic signals. I can't afford one of the better
sampling scopes, and I noticed, that for the price of a used scope on
ebay I can get what is basicly a PC based model (such as
http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope.html). Anyone have any
experience/opinions with these?

> thanks
>
> peter-
>
> I will of course be analyzing the feed back signal from the
encoders on the servos on my cnc mill >B)