CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What should I expect with CNC

Posted by B Snowden
on 2002-09-17 20:44:41 UTC
Matt,

I am using the 97 oz in, Nema 23 Frame motor part number 23-019, from Camtronics. The driver board it the 2amp 3 axis Bipolar Chopper driver from Camtronics. Both can be found at
http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

I don't have much spec on the steppers, other then they are Bipolar with 8 leads.

The transformer is a unit I pulled out of a copy machine. It had a 3 amp fuse in line with it, which I changed to 2 amp fuse. Input is 120 v with 2 secondary. The first which I am using for the
stepper motors, had a output of 25 v. The second, which is not in use yet, but I plan to use as the voltage for the electronic of the driver board, is rated at 15 v. Presently I am driving the
electronic side of the driver board at 12 v with a bench Tri-output power supply.

The 25 v is fed into a 400 v, 4 amp, full wave bridge rectifier. The output of the rectifier is feed into the 10,000 cap which pumps the voltage to 34.8 v. The 34.8 v is fed into the driver board
for the steppers. The only other item is that a Tokin noise filter is in line with the power cord before it reaches the transformer. The noise filter was with the transformer, and I left it in
thinking less noise on the line is a good thing. I could remove it easy enough.

I am unable to measure the current directly, as I only have mA on my DVM. I can only say I am suppose to be in the 2 amp range, or not too far from it. But I have no easy way to verify it.

The ~34.8 volts with no load is measured at the cap. It drops to ~31.8 v with one motor running and down to ~27.1 when all three motors are going.

I am thinking the problem is mechanical, and I am going to post the mechanical side of this problem at the Sherline group. I know it can be hard to diagnose electronic problem without actually
seeing the problem and I appreciate your opinion. Do you see anything I have explained here that would put me off target ?

Thanks
Bruce