CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motor/Encoder/Tach etc cables?

Posted by Scot R. Darr
on 2002-09-18 10:06:06 UTC
I don't know about the old tread but can interject some cabling knowledge I have. When building my cables I use
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F001%5F008%5F000&product%5Fid=910%2D1634
I used two pairs for the encoder and combined a pair for my + & - so that each had 2 wires running to them.

The first time I hooked one of these cables up to my servo and enabled my motor with no feed set the motor twitched and hummed. I applied some pressure to the shaft and then it went really crazy and I thought, how am I ever going to get any precision with this crap. So back to the drawing boards I went. After reading about signal interference I was convinced that my power lines where bleeding into my encoder feedback lines. So I grabbed all of the 22 AWG stranded tinned copper drain wires inside of my individually shielded pairs and soldered them all together and connected them to my chassis ground. After this it has been a perfect cable. I extended the last 2 pairs to my limit switches.

Don't know if this helps any, if you are looking for an exact design for a stepper, but it may help someone.

-----Original Message-----
From: motovidia [mailto:motovidia@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:44 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motor/Encoder/Tach etc cables?

Can someone point me to the thread regarding making this "all in one"
cable?
TIA
Femi

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom