CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC memory leak

Mark wrote:

> Speaking of EMC, I was playing with it and left it running overnight
> and noticed something very disturbing, it seems to have a rather bad
> memory leak, as the next morning (this happened several times) I got
> up and the hard drive was swapping like mad and performance was down
> the tubes. Looked at the processes and EMCSH was using 100+ MB of ram
> on my 128 MB machine. Anyone have any clues???

Wow! This is news to me. I have been running a very old version, and have run it at
least 18 hours on a few occasions without any surprises. That is a 32 MB
machine with a 100 MHz Pentium classic, and Red Hat 5.2 with the RT0.9J
real time patch on a 2.0.36 kernel.

I have been working with development of servo and stepper hardware for EMC,
and have been doing that on a 133 MHz Pentium classic, mostly, with 64 MB.
I have run it for hours at a time, but not overnight. BUT, I did an older version,
again the RH 5.2-based version, at NAMES this April for 2 days straight, no
problems.

I now have this running on a kernel from the BDI 2-12 CD, and have not
noticed anything like this. I know I have left it running for a number of hours without
any problems. Can you see the memory usage rising immediately after you start
it, or is it something that happens suddenly after a long time?

What kernel, real time environment, and EMC version do you have? What
screen GUI do you use? Do you have networking running, or any other
programs, daemons, etc?

Jon Elson 2002-09-21 21:56:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC memory leak Mark 2002-09-23 15:31:05 UTC Re: EMC memory leak