CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Toolpath renderer for Java

on 2002-10-03 16:02:38 UTC
Alan:

I would recommend taking a look at Art of Illusion by
Peter Eastman. This is an open source 3D modeler using
the GPL (Gnu Public License) written in Java. Here's
the URL:

<http://www.artofillusion.org/>

Art of Illusion (hereafter abreviated as AoI) is designed
to be extended via a variety of plug-in interfaces. By
writing a G-code translator plug-in, you would be able
to read a G-code file and have it render the path into
AoI. There is a small amount of plug-in documentation at:

<http://www.artofillusion.org/tutorial1.html>

A simple G-code translator that deals with just a few of
the easier G-codes is probably pretty easy. A G-code
translator that deals with cutter compensation and other
G-code joys is getting to be a pretty serious undertaking.

I hope the information above is useful to you,

-Wayne

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "writetoalan" <flyspeck1@a...> wrote:
> This question applies to the CNC group's programming community. I
> want to create an isometric view of a tool moving around it's
> toolpath (or of the path already completed). It seems like every CAM
> package out there now, even the free ones, have this type of
> capability. Therefore, before I go digging around, I thought I'd ask
> if anyone knows of some available libraries that can handle this. In
> my particular case, I need this functionality within Java (although
> others may have similar interests in other languages, so why don't we
> simply open up the topic to any language). Java has APIs for just
> about everything and I know one exists for 2D/3D graphics. In truth,
> I'm not sure this renderer would need to be a 3D function because I
> don't intend on rotating the image, etc (hmmm, maybe I should if it
> is easy). It could well be that someone will simply say "take a look
> at the 2D API)... that is fine. I haven't done any investigation at
> this point in time.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Discussion Thread

writetoalan 2002-10-03 14:39:10 UTC Toolpath renderer for Java Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-10-03 14:59:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Toolpath renderer for Java Wayne C. Gramlich 2002-10-03 16:02:38 UTC Re: Toolpath renderer for Java