CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Motors Reasonable for Home Shop?

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2002-10-07 22:44:12 UTC
jonp154 wrote:

> I'm new to CNC and stepper motors. I'm building my first CNC machine
> (a single axis SEDM from Camtronic's plan). Are there any advantages
> of using a linear motor vs. a stepper motor? Are linear motors and
> the controls reasonable for a new CNC builder? Thanks a bunch.

I think linear motors are more or less unrolled stepper motors,
and a bipolar motor controller should be sufficient to drive it
(and therefore also all of the various parallel port gcode interpreter
software should also be usable). This assumes Step&Direction type
drivers and software...

The advantage is huge speeds and accelerations. The disadvantage
(perhaps) is lack of mechanical leverage (such as using a pulley system).
Also a disadvantage is the cost, but I'm sure thats coming down
slowly but surely.... if you find a deal be sure and let us know, OK?

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

jonp154 2002-10-07 10:02:38 UTC Linear Motors Reasonable for Home Shop? Doug Fortune 2002-10-07 22:44:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Motors Reasonable for Home Shop?