CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Software help needed

on 2002-10-09 08:44:29 UTC
Hmmm,

Generally, you have the design software, called CAD, which is where
you start your drawing and model your part.

After that, you load file made with the CAD program into a CAM
program (like mastercam, visualmill, etc.). This program takes
parameters such as tool bits, feed rates, etc. and generates g-code
for your machine, tailored to your machine's specific g-code
implementation by something called a post processor.

Finally, you load the g-code into a system called the controller.
This would be things like Fanuc, Haas, Boss and others for the
comercial, proprietary designs. Some controllers run on personal
computers. There are many of these software pc based controllers,
one interesting one is the free EMC developed by NIST. This is the
place where g-codes are interpreted and stepper or servo motors are
told where to go.

Richard

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Francisco Simon" <designtec@n...> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I´ve just subscribed this list yesterday, and this is my first post.
> Many years ago, the ideia of scratch building a CNC machine came
into my
> mind, but when I started information resources were very limited.
> At the begining, I had the feeling that this was something very
complicated
> and out of reach for an electronics amateur like me.
> With the advent of the internet, I was able to find lots of
information on
> this subject. And the more I learn, the more feel that this is still
> complicated, but not so out of reach, as I thought when I started
to think
> about it.
> I have´nt done anything yet, but now I have no problems imagining
in detail
> the mechanics of a 3 or even a 5 axis mill.
> Electronics for stepper motors, encoders, pc conectivity, etc,
does´nt also
> represent major dificulty.
> Components and materials are also much easier to find today.
> Presently, my great doubts are in the software area, and this is
where I
> would like some advise from you guys.
> I know that the market now offers many software packages, like
Mastercam,
> that can translate 3D models into G code.
> Also, a couple of years ago, I found what seemed to be a great
program
> called WINPCNC, wich function was, among other things, to accept G
code and
> transform it into direct motor controls, via an interface board or a
> parallel port..
> I dont know why, but this program seems not to be available anymore.
> Now, what I´m looking for, is for what kind of software do I have
to use,
> that can generate or tranform G code, but also taking into account
the exact
> configuration and parameters of any custom machine.
> I mean, things like the maximum axis travels, the number of axes,
their
> configuration, how they interact with each others, degrees of
freedom (in
> case of 5 axis), etc...
> Does programs like Mastercam can handle this or do I need any other
> intermediate tools?
> Some time ago, I saw on tv, a pc runing a simulation of a 5 axis
mill,
> working a 3D part, wich represented a faithfull configuration of
the real
> machine at work.
> Those images really impressed me and I would like to know what
programs can
> do that.
> Also, I would like to have some advise on what programs are
available now,
> similar to WINPCNC (for Windows preferably).
>
> Thank you all in advance, for any support.
>
> Francisco Simon
> designtec@n...
> ICQ5453591

> Vizzavi Mail powered by Vodafone - http://www.vizzavi.pt
> Virus protected by TrendMicro - http://www.antivirus.com

Discussion Thread

Francisco Simon 2002-10-09 07:41:25 UTC CNC Software help needed skykotechnologies 2002-10-09 08:44:29 UTC Re: CNC Software help needed Marv Frankel 2002-10-09 09:56:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Software help needed Fred Smith 2002-10-09 10:14:33 UTC Re: CNC Software help needed Fred Smith 2002-10-09 10:15:02 UTC Re: CNC Software help needed skykotechnologies 2002-10-09 10:20:24 UTC Re: CNC Software help needed Andrew Werby 2002-10-10 13:11:59 UTC Re: CNC Software help needed