CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Parallel Port Debugging: in the name of CNCkind

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2000-02-02 21:44:15 UTC
> From: Paul Devey <Paul_Devey@...>
> One method of accomplishing the above would be to breakout the signals and
> drive some leds for data, status register and the control register. This is

> too much like work.

It's tedious, but it's probably the most straight forward method. First, go
to Radio Shack and get a logic probe. This should be <$20 and will be all the
instrumentation you need, and it's ready made!. Step & direction will likely
be on the data pins (#2-#9). I'm surprised it isn't documented in the manual.
Have you called them and asked? Anyway, make a chart of the 8 data, 4 control
and 5 status lines and fill it in as you go. Jog the X in one direction and
find the bit that's toggling, that will be X step. Note which pin toggles
when you reverse direction, that's the direction bit (duh), repeat for the
other axes. You may begin to see a pattern, plus each signal you discover
means one less pin to check during the next test. Good Luck!

Matt

Discussion Thread

Paul Devey 2000-02-02 21:00:23 UTC Parallel Port Debugging: in the name of CNCkind Matt Shaver 2000-02-02 21:44:15 UTC Re: Parallel Port Debugging: in the name of CNCkind hansw 2000-02-03 06:48:29 UTC Re: Parallel Port Debugging: in the name of CNCkind