CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please

tedinoue wrote:

>I recently purchased a 2HP PM DC motor, hoping to build/buy a
>controller so that I could use this on a small lathe. For those
>interested, it's a Leeson motor, designated 120v 14A, 4800 RPM.
>Model C42D340T7A. I plan to reduce the maximum speed then feed it
>into my existing lathe drive system.
>
>Several questions:
>0) the motor doesn't have any designations about reversability. I
>know electrically it works, but I'm not sure if the brushes are
>rated for reverse motion. As I manually rotate the shaft, the
>brushes sound smooth in one direction and click lightly in the
>other. Should I assume that the motor is designed for one direction
>rotation only?

Does the nameplate say CW or CCW? IF not, it probably can run both
directions. After running
in the 'click' direction for a while, it will stop clicking, as the tiny
sharp edge on the brushes
will be worn off.

>1) I've seen a lot of postings discussing 90v DC from 110v AC and
>180v DC from 220v AC, but little to nothing on driving a motor rated
>for 120v. I'd get plenty of power out if I ran it at 90v, so I'm ok
>with a controller that does the basic 110AC -> 90DC conversion. Any
>reason why this wouldn't be suggested?

If you full-wave rectify 120 VAC with a capacitor input filter, you get
about 167 V DC.
Chopping that with an IGBT transistor will provide 0-120 V (with
suitable pulse width
control).

>2) If I do run it at 90VDC, that's 3/4 of 120VDC, so would I simply
>then treat the controller needs as 1.5HP / 90 VDC and 10.5Amps?

No, you can still use the full 14 A capacity of the motor. A 90 V
controller will limit the
top speed, only, of the motor. Voltage is proportional to speed,
current is proportional to
torque.

>3) I've no problem making a tach circuit to provide closed loop
>speed feedback, and from what I can tell, a PWM circuit will provide
>the best performance. I've made my own PWM DC servo motors before on
>a small scale using encoders and DC gear motors. Is controlling a
>large, PM, brushed motor of this sort simply a matter of scaling up?

Yes, but there are things to watch out for with bigger drives. IGBTs
are the most desirable
device, but they must never be allowed to run in the linear mode. I
suggest using the International
Rectifier 2110 - 2113 series of driver chips, made expressly for power
FET and IGBT transistors.
A magnet and hall effect sensor can be your tach pickup, feed that to a
555 timer and integrate
the constant width pulses from that with a simple RC, and you have an
analog tach voltage.
Feed that to one side of an op amp, and the other side with a voltage
from the speed pot, and
you have a speed error signal. Feed that to a comparator with the other
input being fed by a
triangle wave, and you have the PWM signal to drive the IGBT driver.

One thing missing from this is a scheme to extract energy from the motor
to slow it down.
So, what is described above is a one-quadrant control. The advantage is
it only has one
expensive power semi in it. You need a double pole double throw switch
to reverse the
motor. A 4-quadrant control can also extract energy from the motor to
slow down, and can
reverse without the switch, but you end up with FOUR power semis. Of
course, a resistor
can be switched in with a relay to slow down, that's probably the
cheapest way to go.

>4) not having experience in higher voltage/power design, I'd
>appreciate a pointer to a web site with some designs. I'm not
>looking for someone to give me a tutorial on this forum, and I've
>done a lot of web searches but they've turned up fairly cold when it
>comes down to real designs for these types of controllers.

Actually, my PWM servo amp could do this, but it is a bit of overkill. See
http://pico-systems.com/servo.htm
<http://pico-systems.com/servo.html>for some more info. I don't have
the schematics online,
maybe I should do that.

tedinoue 2002-10-25 07:30:46 UTC query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please skykotechnologies 2002-10-25 10:04:20 UTC Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please Jon Elson 2002-10-25 10:38:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please Jan Kok 2002-10-26 01:51:37 UTC Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please Peter Seddon 2002-10-26 07:30:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please ths992001 2002-10-26 07:56:56 UTC Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please RichD 2002-10-26 10:10:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please Jon Elson 2002-10-26 18:31:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: query - 2HP PM DC motor controller - pointers please