CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Firsthand Defiance experience

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-10-26 20:20:00 UTC
Hi Kevin:
I've got a Defiance VTX-1 with the old Bridgeport DX 32 control (before
they put on the fancy Creative Evolution control)
Here's my findings:
Pretty lightly built little mill, but still capable of milling A2 toolsteel
at 60 Rockwell if you don't push it too hard.
Great mill for prototyping in plastic.
Some fairly sloppy assembly...mine came with the head out-of-square 0.007"
in 6", the tee slots are not parallel to the X axis movement so you can't
fixture to them, the table's a hunk of hot rolled mild steel that's been
surface ground and isn't perfectly flat.
The machine's so light that high speed machining is impractical...anything
above 80 inches a minute or so on a tiny part and the inertia of the table
reversal makes the machine hop across the floor.
That makes the Creative Evolution control a bit of a waste...so the 40 grand
for the new machine is way overpriced.
Mine was $15,000.00 USD in 1999 (it was a repo from 1997)
Defiance went buns up too, so if you get one...you're on your own!!!
Hope this helps
Cheers

Marcus