CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-11-05 22:12:49 UTC
Get your wallet out....

If you are comfortable with Corel Draw, you must be working in a 2-2.5d environment with your projects. Most of your typical Cad/Cams are far better for making "mechanical" things rather than artwork.
Yet, you mention "Inlays", and they really are more similar to a "mechanical thing" to cut than artwork, unless your Corel drawings are really sophisticated, or rather too sophisticated for Vector to
apply toolpaths to (which I doubt).

I have found that Signlab (cadlink.com) is about the most user friendly "option" because Corel and Signlab had a relationship up of sorts in Canada. Their artistic drawing methods are near identical,
and node editing is even better. This program HAS true point and click "Inlay" features including super easy "Gap" adjustments, "bridges" for the inlay portion, and "glue trays" for the pocket. I love
it for Artwork and 2.5 d stuff, can't live without it really. Faster, easier, and far more capable than most for text work.

But don't give up on Vector...... Not much out there can replace it at double the money, maybe even more. I've come to like its approach for toolpath generation, but only after I kept using it and
using it and......

And, unless you have large amounts of money to purchase one of the very expensive programs that have captured Cad/Cam AND Artwork properly, (could this be alphacam? ArtCam?....) you will need to learn
how to use the combination of both.

For the most part, if you draw in Corel, import a Corel DXF into Vector (Corel has some notorious dxf export "issues"), toolpath generation in Vector should be a Snap. If you want to get "Artsy" while
*drawing* in Vector.... Uh, well, I don't think its possible.

You'd have to call a Signlab dealer to get pricing..Many "levels" and modules are available. I have a full blown and one they used to call "shortcut" but allowed anything I'd ever want to do as long as
it was no bigger than 30"X20" in size.

There is a Signlab dealer who is a member of this list !

I know some on the list feel they need to pull off all of the *necessary things without spending any money because they are hobbiests.... Well, all of a sudden this hobbiest realized that you
"trickled" away large amounts of money and Still can't accomplish anything. Things never looked better as when I realized I can't be penny foolish. You WILL need the tools to get the job done.

Chris L

dhuffguitars wrote:

> I need to have a cad/cam program to load my drawings into to cut
> inlays for me.

Discussion Thread

dhuffguitars 2002-11-05 17:07:07 UTC vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions carlcnc 2002-11-05 17:44:37 UTC Re: vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions Scott A. Stephens 2002-11-05 18:39:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions Dan Statman 2002-11-05 21:35:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions Chris L 2002-11-05 22:12:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vector's learning curve too big, any other suggestions dhuffguitars 2002-11-06 08:54:15 UTC Re: vector's great, I just need to ask the questions.......