CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Injection Molding...

on 2000-02-05 08:31:59 UTC
Mario,
Yes I would need photos. That would be a big help.
To calculate the maximum injection pressure of the machine:
pie times the radius squared= area of cylinder x psi of air, divided by the
diameter of plunger.
Example: 6" air cylinder...3x3=9x3.1417=28.275 square inches, X 120 PSI shop
presssure=3,393 lbs of force. If the plunger is 1/2" in diameter, calculate
the area of the plunger, which is .25 x .25 x 3.1417=.1964 square inches.
Then take the area of the plunger (.1964) and divide into force (3393) and
the total force in PSI at the plunger is 3393/.1964= 17,276 PSI
This will be your maximum cavity presure in PSI, at 120 lbs of shop air
pressure.

Typically, a part thicker than .040" will require only about 1-2 tons of
clamp force for every square inch of part area to keep the mold shut.
Thinner parts will require as much as 5 tons per square inch of part area.
]
Film canisters are usually LDPE. Low Density Polyethylene.
Milk Jugs are usually HDPE Hight Density Polyethylene
Soda bottles are PET
Freezing some plastics will enhance grindability...BUT
Materials such as NYLON, ACETAL, POLYCARBONATE, will not become
any more brittle at freezing temperatures.
I suggest if you want any of these tougher materials, you simply buy a few
pounds.
Also a note..when using recycled plastics, you must be careful. There are
certain combinations, that when heated and put under pressure, will explode.
Stick with known items such as soda, milk jugs, or film canisters
Joseph