CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper Motor Torque vs. Wiring

Posted by Chris and Dee
on 2002-11-08 10:29:30 UTC
Ahh. OK. Thanks guys, that makes a lot more sense.

Interestingly enough, as I was playing with the motor last night on a
40v power supply with the current set incorrectly (set at the
nameplate rating for full winding) it never seemed to get very warm
unlike the anaheim automation motor I have that was also incorrectly
set current-wise.

FWIW, I ordered pulleys today and should have the mill/drill under
computer control next week sometime. Where have other people
purchased their pulleys? I paid $50 for 6 pulleys from SDP/SI which
was the best deal I could find anywhere. Seemed a little steep to
me.....

Thanks again, as always.

-Chris

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> Bipolar and unipolar refer to how the drive electronics energize
the coils.
> When you use a unipolar scheme (current flow is always in the same
direction
> from the coil ends to the center tap) to drive the motor you are
pretty well
> describing how the coils will be connected at the same time. But,
when you
> use a bipolar scheme (current flow reverses direction) you have a
number of
> ways to connect the coils. So, you are confusing yourself by
thinking that
> the coil connection is what makes it bipolar or unipolar.

Discussion Thread

Chris and Dee 2002-11-08 08:19:58 UTC Stepper Motor Torque vs. Wiring mariss92705 2002-11-08 09:22:09 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Torque vs. Wiring Tim Goldstein 2002-11-08 09:42:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor Torque vs. Wiring Chris and Dee 2002-11-08 10:29:30 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Torque vs. Wiring