CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: more mill/drill conversion questions

Posted by dgmachinist
on 2002-11-11 05:13:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Bryan Pryor <bkpryor@y...> wrote:
> I purchased my mill/drill. It's a Dovetail Z-Axis
> type. it can be seen here:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1784625512&rd=1
>
> I have more questions (sorry).

Bryan,
Welcome to the world of CNC!!

> 1. Where are some good places to get stepper motors
> and/or servo motors. I'm looking for at least 200 oz.
> in., preferably larger. Is it possible to pay less
> than $150 per motor?

Try this link..
http://www.omusa.com/automated/product/vexta.htm
You will have to set up a user name and stuff...

> 2. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. I own the
> mill and computer now. I still need:
> -3 motors

YES

> -3 Drivers

DITTO

> -1 controller

Yes, a PC

> -3 power supplies, 1 for each motor

NO, My router is running 3 200 oz motors. My power supply is from
Microkinetics.com, 36vdc@ 10amps. I've tested it to the best of my
limited ability, and I don't seem to be having problems.

> -3 power supplies, 1 for each driver

If you use the Gecko's (which is what I have) the power for the
motors gets sent through each gecko to each individual motor.
> -1 1 power supply for the controller

NO

> -Software to control the mill. (any recommendations?)

Definetely. Master5 or Mach1, http://www.artofcnc.ca/
It's low cost, easy to use, and the writer has wonderful tech
support. He also has a Yahoo Chat group.

> -3 Belts and pulleys to connect the motors to the
> screws. I'm looking at www.mcmaster.com, item #
> 57105k13, with a 2:1 reduction right now. Can I find
> timing belts and pulleys cheaper than this?

Mcmaster is pretty much the average price on hardware. Their metal
costs are quite high, though.

> -I can make the connecting hardware.
>
> 3. I've heard a lot about the gecko drivers. Are
> they the best to get, or are there others that will
> work just as well?

I have asked the same question myself. I feel that they are very
reliable, and if you hunt around and ask the right questions, there
might be someone that will sell you a few at a discount.

> 3. Where do I get the power supplies needed? How big
> should they be? How do I make sure that all my
> equipment will work together? If I buy stepper motors
> now (I've heard they are cheaper) will I be able to
> easily and inexpensively upgrade to servo motors
> later?

Read the "white papers" on gecko's website. I think its
geckodrive.com. That should help you out with the power supply part
of things.
As far as everything going together the first time? Keep asking
questions to the group.
When I finished everything on my router, I flicked te power switch
and nothing happened. Turns out I forgot to run a ground wire for
the power supply. :)

Hope this helps,
Seth