CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waterjet cuter Vs. EDM?

no falloff wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with building a waterjet or abrasivejet cuter? I was thinking of it as an alternative to trying to build an EDM. I have ideas for many parts that would be best made on an EDM, and a friend of mine suggested I look into waterjet cutting. After a little research, it seems simpler and safer than EDM but I haven’t found much info for the DYI’er. Anyone have any good sources for parts and info?

I don't know about safer. My mini EDM gizmo runs at about 30 V, which
won't generally even
shock you. If a waterjet cutter springs a leak at 30,000 PSI, it will
cut you in half in a fraction
of a second, even without abrasive. Or, it will inject water deep under
the skin, and you'll have
to have surgery to get it out. That is supposed to be a VERY nasty injury!

The EDM can be built with ordinary electronic components bought from
Radio Shack or standard
radio-TV suppliers. The water jet will need a very exotic pump, which
will take a LOT of
maintenance. I went to a demo of an OMax waterjet machine that sells for
$80,000. Their
pump needs a rebuild every 400 operating hours. If you build your own, I
suspect it will
need more frequent overhauls.

The advantage with waterjet is it can cut non-conductive materials, like
stone, composites,
glass, etc.

no falloff 2002-11-14 17:20:17 UTC Waterjet cuter Vs. EDM? Jerry Kimberlin 2002-11-14 17:42:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waterjet cuter Vs. EDM? Jon Elson 2002-11-14 21:53:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waterjet cuter Vs. EDM?