CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RC servo hack for CNC use? Confidentiality Warning;(

Posted by Lee Studley
on 2002-11-15 12:40:39 UTC
Hi Coert,
Not trying to be mean, but this is a public list, so lose the
warning or dont post. I defer to the list hosts...
-Lee

--->regarding:

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Van Der Sandt Coert <vandersandtc@a...>
wrote:
> Hi
> Has anyone ever hacked an RC servo for use with CNC?
>
> If you take an RC servo and remove the stop block from the output
shaft and
> replace the feedback pot with a resistor network. The servo will
always
> think that it is on the mid point. It would then be possible to
control the
> servo direction and speed from a micro controller with PWM.
>
> Add a quad encoder to the servo or lead screw and the same micro
controller
> can count the encoder output and know when the servo has moved a
> predetermined amount. Now feed the micro controller with step /
dir signals
> and it moves the servo (with PWM) in the required direction until
the
> encoder counts the predetermined ticks. The servo uses very little
power
> when in a 'neutral' state and actively resists external forces.
>
> A standard RC servo has about 5kg/cm torque = 69 ounce/inch (if my
math is
> right)
> A standard RC servo moves 0.22 seconds per 60 degree travel = 90.9
RPM
> At 10 TPI that would make for 9.09 IPM - a bit slow?
>
> Please give me your thoughts on where you would mount the encoder
and
> whether you think that it would be able to handle higher currents
(around
> 2A). Or any other feedback would be great.
>
> Regards
> Coert
>

> Confidentiality Warning
> The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation
> are confidential and any use thereof, in what ever form, by anyone
> other than the addressee is strictly prohibited.

Discussion Thread

Van Der Sandt Coert 2002-11-15 00:45:36 UTC RC servo hack for CNC use? alex 2002-11-15 08:28:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RC servo hack for CNC use? Lee Studley 2002-11-15 12:40:39 UTC Re: RC servo hack for CNC use? Confidentiality Warning;( Tim Goldstein 2002-11-15 13:02:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RC servo hack for CNC use? Confidentiality Warning;( Peter Seddon 2002-11-16 03:06:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RC servo hack for CNC use?