CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: cutting complex curves (ref G02, G03)

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-02-07 12:47:07 UTC
> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> How do I translate this "spline" into G-code that my shareware
> controller can cut? In theory, I would be generating an infinite number
> of circular arcs with the length of each arc infinitely small.
> I have tried some software demos (G-code95) and they simply generate
> a G01 with a long list of X, Y coordinates afterwards. This linear
> interpolation has the unhappy effect of producing a faceted surface,
> unsuitable for cams.
> Does anyone know of some inexpensive G-code generators that will
> G02/03 from splines? And can you control the "resolution" of the
> individual arc segments. Will an over-sized G-code file crash the
> software controllers?

Either Bobcad or Vector can both generate a spline or Arc-spline through a
series of points. They both have an accuracy setting that will represent
the maximum allowed distance from the points to the final curve, or from the
spline curve to the arc-spline. A spline curve in this sense is a series of
tiny line segments that are so fine that when a machine with continuous
contouring machines them, the inertia of the table movement combined with
the accel & decel of the motors, makes the curve seem smooth, rather than
faceted.

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-02-07 11:06:41 UTC cutting complex curves (ref G02, G03) Fred Smith 2000-02-07 12:47:07 UTC Re: cutting complex curves (ref G02, G03) Jon Elson 2000-02-07 21:29:55 UTC Re: cutting complex curves (ref G02, G03)