CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: spin idex

on 2002-11-23 09:20:50 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Robert Allan" <Robert.Allan7@b...>
>wrote:
> to John Stevenson am I correct in saying that you fitted a gearbox
>with stepper motor to a spin indexer
> any details of the gearbox etc.thanks in advance
> Robert Allan

Correct.
The pics of the finished unit are at:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/5ccomplete.jpg
The pics of the general arangemant are at:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jodiebell/5cga.jpg
The gearbox is a standard off the shelp unit very commonly found on
geared motor drives. The first pic on the GA shows this.
These are available in many ratio's and 40:1, 60:1 and 90:1 are
common ratios.
Fitting this unit to a standard spin indexer was a reasonably easy
job.
The hardest part was fitting the wormwheel to the 5C spindle.
I did this by machining the bore over size by about 1/4" and on a 10
degree taper. I then made a tapered ring to fit this and secured it
by three screws tapped into the bronze wheel at the edge of the
taper. The heads of the screws pushed the tapered ring in to tighten
it up and the ring remained just proud of the surface. I then bored
this to be a good fit on the spindle, removed the ring, split it with
a saw cut and then when it was refitted, tightening the screws forced
the ring to grip the shaft.
Basically I mimiced a taperlock bush.
This did away with any grub screws or other methods of fastening
which would mark the 5C spindle.

It has made a very neat and professional looking unit that can easily
I have this coupled up to one of Tony Jeffree's Division Master units
and I'm very pleased with the whole setup.
I can swap this unit between this 5C unit, an 8" Vertex rotary table
and a big Hoffman 8" dividing head with type 42 1100 oz in motor on
it.

John S.

Discussion Thread

Robert Allan 2002-11-23 07:29:46 UTC spin idex stevenson_engineers 2002-11-23 09:20:50 UTC Re: spin idex